Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Stake and Tomatoes


The heat is on.  Summer is unofficially here.  Everything is growing like crazy.  We are still having rain every third day or so, too.  Big rain.  So there is little for me to do in the vegetable garden.  Except, of course, stake the tomatoes (and the tomatillos above).




The tomato is a vine and it needs some taming to keep away rot and pest.  I tried the tomato cages and felt they were more hassle than help.  Now, I keep it simple.  A stake and a tie.  Last year I cut up some Hanes panty hose and used those strips to tie them.  This year I didn't have any on hand, but I had too spools of garden twine.  So, be gentle, and give those tomatoes a lift.



Also on my gardening to-do list today was to harvest the leeks and the cabbage.  



Leeks will go in a quiche or Creamy Leek and Potato Soup.  The cabbages were surprisingly salvaged from the ravage wreaked on them by cabbage worms.  Three solid (though smallish) heads perfect for some summer slaw.

I just love the bounty of summer.

1 comment:

kjramstack said...

I've had problems with the tomato cages in the past. Our tomatoes always seem to outgrow the strength of the cages and make them topple over. In the end we usually have to stake the cages. I think I will try your tip this year and just use stakes. I'm always up for trying new things. We are having a very cold spring in Wisconsin this year so all of my seedlings are still in the house! I usually plant the garden this weekend but nighttime temps are still in the 30's. Yikes!