Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes with Basil Green Goddess


If you're like me you have basil coming out your ears, but most of your larger type of tomatoes are still taking their sweet time ripening.  We've had a couple of big thunderstorms this summer and sometimes the still-green fruit gets knocked off.  Make use of these emerald gems (or just go pluck a few yourself) with this easy recipe.

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES 

3-4 medium to large firm, green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning or paprika
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup peanut oil
flat leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish

Using three shallow bowls, combine the flour and seasoning in one, beat the egg with buttermilk in another, and mix the bread crumbs and cornmeal in the third.  Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high.  Dredge each tomato slice first in the flour mixture, then submerse in the egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture.  Fry in oil about 3-4 minutes on each side until browned.  Drain on paper towel-lined plate.  Serve with chopped parsley and Basil Green Goddess Dressing.

©SweatBread


BASIL GREEN GODDESS DRESSING
*adapted from Barefoot Contessa

Pesto is the go-to recipe for excess basil, but sometimes you gotta mix it up a bit.  This is good on anything, even just a spoon!  Serve it on salad, fish, chicken, veggie dip, and fried green tomatoes!  This recipe is adapted because I hardly ever have anchovy paste on hand, but that adds an extra punch.  I also use plain yogurt, greek or regular, instead of sour cream.  You can also substitute white onion for the scallions, though I would use less onion in that case.  I use twice as much basil as Ms. Garten (because I always have twice as much basil).

1 cup good maynnaise
1 cup chopped scallions
2 cups chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons anchovy paste (optional)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons FGP
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I don't use lowfat)


Place the mayonnaise, scallions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.  Add the yogurt and process just until blended. (Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Maddy said...

So I LOVE tomatoes, but until recently, I had only ever had typical red ones, so I'm wondering if green tomatoes are a variety unto their own or if they're unripened red ones? please don't laugh at me if thats stupid :)

Jordan said...

Green tomatoes ARE unripened ones. A GOOD question! (:

Robin said...

Oh, what a great recipe. Another lowcountry favorite! I can't wait to try your recipe and the dressing this weekend. I am going to go pick some green tomatoes this weekend at Boone Hall...my tomatoes in my garden are not quite ready to even be green. Thanks, Jordan!